Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tickled Pink: Jupiter's Es-335 Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Jupiter, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    When doing bodies, I generally just start at one horn and go around to the other, but with alla these sharp corners, I think the best plan is to start with the hard part. This part:
    IMG_3662.JPG

Impossible, I reckon, to bend this bit without making a kink, so I hadda heat things up a bit.
    IMG_3663.JPG

That worked pretty good. Took a LOT of tape though.
    IMG_3664.JPG

Didn't stick like I wanted it to, so I ended up using quite a bit of gaffer tape, too.
    IMG_3665.JPG

This was basically the only thing I got done today...
    IMG_3666.JPG

Rest of the week will be cleaning this up, I guess.

richa, nosmo, smartsoul72 and 9 others like this.

2. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan
    gaffer tape was the original name that we called duct tape . So what is gaffer tape then?

3. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

May 29, 2016
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaffer_tape
    “While sometimes confused with duct tape, gaffer tape differs in the composition of both the backing, which is made from fabric as opposed to vinyl or other plastics, and the adhesive, which is more resistant to heat and more easily removed without damaging the surface to which it was adhered.”
    Also known, in the U.K. at least, as Gaffa Tape (to an Englishman, though not to a Scot, the words sound identical) as captured in Kate Bush’s song Suspended In Gaffa (which I like to think was inspired by roadcrew pranks... but probably isn’t!).

4. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

Your binding is looking great. See, it was not that hard ;)

5. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

May 29, 2016
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Yes indeed it is looking very good indeed, @Jupiter! Apologies for not mentioning that before joining in the gaffer tape diversion..!

6. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    Duck tape is not duct tape and should be avoided on ducting

Duck refers to the cotton fabric in the orig tape

7. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    head explode.gif

8. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Love that movie.:lol:

9. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I was thinking I'd glue the FB on, then route the mortise, but now I'm filled with doubt, because how da heck am I gonna cut that extra bit off the tenon that goes into the PU route?

I need to go back and look at some builds...

Next time I do a glue-in neck it's gonna be different.

I related news, I went into a guitar store to look for 335s but the only one they had was from a company called Historic; anybody heard of them? It was MIJ, and about 1800 bucks. Pretty nice, but it didn't look like it was constructed exactly the same. 3-piece neck, and it seemed like the tenon was the full FB width, but I couldn't be sure. It played really nice, and I hope this dang thing comes out that good...

10. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan
    We call it duct tape cause it POs the correctness police:rolleyes::oops::cool::lol:

err sorry Jup for the interruption my innocent question caused

AAT65 and Piggy Stu like this.

11. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I didn't really know what gaffer tape was until a couple years ago, but now I use it for a lot of things I used to use duct tape for, and more. Like sticking pedals onto my acoustic pedal board.

Fixed the vacuum cleaner with it twice this year!:)

Worked pretty good for binding; you could really reef on it without it tearing, and it didn't pull wood fibers, but I wouldn't want to leave it on for more than a few minutes.

12. oheare

oheare TDPRI Member

Sep 29, 2006
    Ottawa
    As a pro sound guy, gaffer tape is a fabric tape that holds really well and removes easily without leaving goo behind. It's also not shiny, comes in a variety of decorator colours (though I've never seen DPP gaffer tape), and tears easily crossways, lengthways, and even sometimes at a 45 degree angle.

It's also a *LOT* more expensive; the stuff I prefer is ~$26Cdn a roll, compared to ~$6 for 3M duct tape.

This is the stuff that one must use when doing events, say, inside the National Gallery of Art. Doing live audio for a duo playing Steve Reich in a room lined with $millions worth of art by Jackson Pollock, Mark Rothko, etc.. (Man, I have the *best* job. Too bad the pay is crap and my boss is an idiot.)

Piggy Stu likes this.

13. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Here's hoping he's not a tele-playing idiot. :D

Barncaster and BluesBlooded like this.

14. oheare

oheare TDPRI Member

Sep 29, 2006
    Ottawa
    Watch what you say -- I'm self-employed. o_O

Zepfan, Barncaster, Piggy Stu and 2 others like this.

15. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Well done Jupe, even if you used the wrong tape. o_O Like Andre said, once you got into it, it was not so bad, was it? A card scraper is an excellent tool for flushing up the binding with the adjacent surface—so is a utility knife blade, although a bit slower.

In my book, acetone is the “ adhesive” of choice primarily because you can be as sloppy as you want with it on the wood, and it leaves no residue to clean up. Can’t say that about CA or Duck cement glue or even Titebond.

Barncaster, Jupiter and ndeli55 like this.

16. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I'm realizing that I should have cut the mortise before I cut the PU cavities: it's gonna be tricky to get all the way down to the bottom of the mortise route without the sidewalls for the bearing to run on. I might have to screw some temporary blocks in the cavity... #kludge

17. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    It’s troublesome- there really is no good way to do it. On my Brainy tribute, I cut the mortise first, then glued the neck in, and finally routed out the pickup cavities. It shakes you up a good bit to see how much of that mortise is destroyed at the bottom of the neck pickup pit!:eek: Or at least with my Tele-cum-ES335 design that is. To get the pickup hole deep enough, I hadda use my very longest router bit, and finagle a template of 1/4” midfield, that straddled and bridged the end of the neck, but in my case, ar least the guitar body was Tele-flat. You will have to contend with the arch top, and pickup angle.

But there are numerous 335 build threads here to refer to, and some of the regulars have built lovely 335’s so it’s not like you’re going it alone. Well, actually, you are going it alone, but there’s good advice, training, and our moral support behind you. Think of it like a boxing match. The guys who have done it before are your trainers, the rest of us are are your cut-men’s and pail boys. We’re in your corner and you’ll be yelling “ yo, Adrian” in no time!

DD3452A1-B8A5-41F8-8287-24C3EFFC427A.jpeg

Barncaster and Jupiter like this.

18. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Okay, so that's starting to clean up pretty nicely:
    IMG_3668.JPG

Spent most of my free time today catching up on how folks do the mortise, and yeah, I've decided I need to do that before gluing on the FB. So I'm shifting my focus to tuning up the tenon and the throat of the body and figuring out how to route the mortise at a precise angle (that is, 4°).

AAT65, Colors, RogerC and 4 others like this.

19. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales

20. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    She's a beauty Jup! We are rooting for ya!

Jupiter likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.