Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tickled Pink: Jupiter's Es-335 Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Jupiter, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    However, now that you mention it, we might actually be six months out, or less, from flake at this point! My goal is to cut the mortise by April, and if we make that, it's conceivable that I'll be shopping for a painter in June. Actually, that'd be ideal, because then I could hang it up to season over the summer, and we'd be wiring it up in the Fall.

AAAnd I just finished it in my head! Does that count? :)

AAT65 and RogerC like this.

2. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    I just took a screenshot of this post and am going to repost it in the year 6851, as you buff the lacquer and talk about grounding problems after installing wiring last week

titan uranus and cabra velha like this.

3. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I am terrified that I'll forget to ground the bridge, actually...

4. Piggy Stu

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    I think the radioactive half life of iron is only about 28 million years: it will have decayed to nothing by the time you finish

Isn't the sun expected to swell up into a Red Giant and consume the earth within about 5 billion years? What's the point in continuing when you won't even have the wood sealed by then?

5. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    There's nothing wrong with taking your time Jup.:) You are doing a great job!!

nosmo and Jupiter like this.

6. Piggy Stu

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    'It is so far from the sun that Jupiter takes 12 Earth years to make one trip around the sun. That means one year on Jupiter is 12 years on Earth.

It is very cold on Jupiter. Gravity is different, too. There is more gravity on Jupiter than on Earth. Someone who weighs 100 pounds on Earth would weigh about 240 pounds on Jupiter'

Boffins cracked the mystery:

https://www.nasa.gov/audience/forstudents/k-4/stories/nasa-knows/what-is-jupiter-k4.html

6 months to us is 6 years that deep into the solar system

RogerC likes this.

7. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Well then, I'm WAY ahead of schedule!

RLee77 and LeftFinger like this.

8. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.

Absolutely. And since I thought we were talking dog-years, Your pace is 7x what would be normally expected. 7x slower or 7x faster is yet to be determined.

And if it’s not too late, use acetone. You’ll thank me later.

9. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Stick with Gotoh tuners Jup. Local to you and my personal favs.

10. oheare

oheare TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

Sep 29, 2006
    Ottawa
    So 12 Jupiter dog years means 1 Jupe year is 84 years on Earth. Am I doing this right?

But frivolously, Jupiter, I rather like the Zen of the build. "It is time, now, to drill one perfect hole. And if the hole is not perfect, then it is perfect in its imperfection."

11. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Careful, there. We don’t want Jupe meditating on the perfection of the incompleteness of this project, do we? It is perfect incompletion and therefore cannot be improved, as it is already perfectly incomplete. Ergo: thread done. :( :p:p

RLee77 likes this.

12. oheare

oheare TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

Sep 29, 2006
    Ottawa
    Dang, you're right. consider it unsaid. It is both said and unsaid. Mu.

R. Stratenstein likes this.

13. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    So excited to do the binding I actually had trouble sleeping!

14. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    I think that French tradesmen us the term "quinze jours" (literal translation a fortnight or fifteen days) to mean it will take some time, or it will be ready when it is ready. Your six months could mean it will take some considerable time, and that although it may be strung and played it may never be truly finished.

15. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Certainly true of three of the last four guitars I built... :rolleyes:

16. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    My first (partscaster) build used those Kluson-style staggered locking tuners from Gotoh, and I sure do like 'em, but these hipshots are dang good too. Actually, they are the first tuners I've bought twice.

17. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Well said, sir. You are obviously a Zen master!

18. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Jan 31, 2012
    Lake Jackson, TX
    It's kind of funny you waited after you cut the channel so you wouldn't damage the binding.

I know what you're thinking, 'cause I did it too, but..........the binding is supposed to protect the headstock. What's protecting the channel?

Hipshots are great!

richa likes this.

19. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I thought the binding was to hide the seam...

Anyway, nothing's protecting the channel (actually that's what I'm working on now), which is why I nicked a corner of it on the table of the spindle sander... :cry:

20. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Acetone it is then!
    IMG_3660.JPG

Asmith likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.