Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Super strats were an eighties guitar fad, but many people forgot there was another fad going on.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blazer, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Dec 12, 2016
    Amsterdam
    Well good riddance methinks. Nobody's THAT good a friend.

2. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    That's pretty cool you found one with a hard tailpiece. Most superstrats, superteles and pointed shape guitars had a strat tailpiece back then (or Floyd).

3. Scooter91

Scooter91 Tele-Holic

Aug 24, 2009
    Southwest MN
    I have a Peavey Nitro-1 from those days. Kahler trem, one volume knob and a hot and crunchy single pup. Fun to bang around on...

4. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

How many of the Super Strats were actually influenced by EVH as 'a more versatile version' with additional pickups? If it has a 'Floyd then it's a descendant of Eddie's. Floyd Rose was a neighbor of Eddies that made jewelry at the time and Eddie helped him out with testing and probably design tweaks.

PRS was not the 80's guitar influencer .. Paul's first NAMM show was 1985 and still by 1995 they were only up to producing 25-30 guitars a day.

Hamer Guitars has often been cited as PRS's main influence in the beginning.

Hamer 1981 Catalog
    [​IMG]

Notice how the first guitar Paul got Santana to play on stage looks like those (this particular picture is a reissue copy done for Santana and for sale in 1997). The story I read is that Paul skulked around Santana's back stage with his various guitars trying to get a meeting. Today anyone doing that would get barred with stalking charges.
    [​IMG]

This is Santana with his Yamaha SG2000 guitar he played up until the PRS one above.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Somewhat later a fleet of Hamer designs to choose from...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018 at 8:46 AM
    ndcaster and Southpole like this.

5. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2014
    WellingtonNZ
    I just ‘know’. But now you got me worried that some might be right socks masquerading as left socks.

6. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2014
    WellingtonNZ
    Didn’t Hamer make a really cool 36 fret shredder? Can’t recall the name at the mo.

7. 3fngrs

3fngrs Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    Can't believe I never caught that! Good eye.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.