Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Super strats were an eighties guitar fad, but many people forgot there was another fad going on.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blazer, Feb 13, 2018.

1. 3fngrs

3fngrs Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    24 track likes this.

2. FirTrader

FirTrader Tele-Meister

Jan 8, 2017
    Alberta Canada
    I think PRS stood the test of time a bit more than some of these other guitars because they were, in the early days, truly stage-ready for quality. Silent electronics, top quality switching and wiring. I've never really liked their signature sound (my buddy has a fairly early one, early 90s I guess), but damn are they ever easy to rip on.

24 track likes this.

3. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    Timely thread. The other day i dragged out my super Strat (homemade body,floating tremolo, SD JB pickup).
    I changed the strings for the first time in probably 20 years.
    I can't believe i used to be patient enough to spend practically a weekend just messing with a setup to get it to stay in tune.

24 track likes this.

4. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I remember the Hamers using the LP double cut shape before I'd ever seen a PRS. I remember PRS looking good to me at the end of the 80s, probably because they were surrounded by super strats and looked more traditional.

I can barely look at them now. I mean, it's basically a gibson with a strat bridge, but I just can't handle the aesthetic.

warrent and 24 track like this.

5. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I found a Peavey Preditor that some poor kid paid a his allowance for a year , a modified strat shaped with buckers and a floyd , ( in left handed) I tought the Rose was worth more than what I paid for it so I bought it , all it needed was a proper set up it plays, tunes and dives beautifully.

the one infront of the Sunn Sonaro

P1011487.JPG

6. Censport

Censport Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2010
    Nashville/東京
    Yabut... PRS never caught on with me like SuperStrats did. I still have two from my long-hair days. This is one of them.

Aggressor.jpg

7. acstorfer

acstorfer Tele-Holic

Mar 11, 2007
    Boynton Beach, FL
    I agree about the superstrats. I don’t think they disappeared though. Ibanez is still going strong with them.

As far as “other” brands influencing the 80’s it’s BC Rich. There are other brands of course, but most of them stuck with the superstrats. The 80’s were all about Mockingbirds, Eagles, Bich’s, and Warlocks (also of course their ST-III’s and Gunslingers). Serious star power for BC Rich in their day. It saddens me that most people think they’re crap. It’s understandable though. The ones they sell at the big box stores really are usually pretty crappy.

24 track likes this.

8. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Tele-Afflicted

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    Always liked the idea of a headless... but never had the nerve to pull the trigger on one...

Steinberger.png

24 track likes this.

9. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    They were probably just trying keep you from blowing around in a stiff wind...:D

Peregrino69 and 24 track like this.

10. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2014
    WellingtonNZ
    I think I read somewhere that there are now around a million guitars made each year. That’s a lot of guitars. Since guitars last a long time you really do wonder where they end up. Once we pass ‘peak guitar’ the value will fall out of a lot of unremarkable guitars.

Obsessed, TwangyWhammy and 24 track like this.

11. TwangyWhammy

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    I was wondering that very same thing myself... probably the same place where all the short pencils go?

12. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2014
    WellingtonNZ
    No
    Not to mention left socks!

13. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    This has always boggled my mind too. Admittedly, all of the super strats end up hanging on pawn shop walls, but what happened to all of the other strats?

14. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

I bought a black CE24 brand new in 1988. It was the new bolt on. Great guitar. Eventually sold it because it just didn’t have the sizzle anymore....between Fender and Gibson....somehow kind of meh. YMMV of course.

15. Censport

Censport Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2010
    Nashville/東京
    That's due to people like several of us on here (myself included), who wake up one day with ten guitars and plans to buy more.

They're on Reverb with... "optimistic"... prices.

Wait, how do you know they're left socks?

:D

Southpole and TwangyWhammy like this.

16. jimmyv723

jimmyv723 TDPRI Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Western New York
    it's a shame that Hamer isn't around like it used to be. They made some amazing guitars and I know they are "back" but it's not the same. On the subject of PRS, there was a little movie franchise in the 80's called Back To The Future. In the second movie there was a blue guitar featured in one of the scenes and guess what it was...

[​IMG]

I have a couple SE models right now in a Zach Myers and a Custom 24 30th Anniversary. Back in the late 90's or early 2000's I went into Guitar Center and saw a PRS hanging in the Used area and walked out with it. It was a CE-3 and it had a rainbow holoflake finish. It looked black but when light hit it the holoflake reflected various colors. I ended up having to sell it a few years later but still haven;t seen one like it. Definitely wish I still had that one.

3fngrs likes this.

17. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 15, 2009
    Waubeka Wisconsin
    I bought nothing but CBS Stratocasters in the 80's, but I was in my teens and twenties, played left handed, and was utterly fascinated with Hendrix, so I wanted what he had... :)

A shop tried to sell me a Super-Strat, it had a Floyd Rose, Humbuckers, multiple switching options, and a pre-CBS neck....

I probably should bought it for the neck and body! :)

18. TwangyWhammy

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder

Haha... nice one my dear Watson!

Censport likes this.

19. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    It could be argued that PRS was the Super Paul fad, just like there was the super strat thing going in parallel

3fngrs and Censport like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.