Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Stratocaster tuning hole spacing?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Sky Bluefeather, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Sky Bluefeather

Sky Bluefeather TDPRI Member

Jan 18, 2018
    Queensland
    I'm building a strat neck, and I haven't been able to find measurements for the centres of the tuning holes. I need the distance of the first hole from the nut, the distance each hole is from the straight side of the headstock, and the distance each is apart.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018

2. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    assuming you're using Kluson type tuners... buy 'em... they mount butted against each other... so it should be easy to lay 'em out, measure... and have a good time for a few moments with a drill press.

or. . .

Ron Kirn

SD91-dimension-2.jpg

bblumentritt likes this.

3. Jackadder

Jackadder Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2014
    West Australia
    Here an American Standard ...

fender-strat-headstock.jpg

The distance of tuner holes from the straight side of the headstock can be altered depending on what tuners you use and how you like them to look.....

4. Sky Bluefeather

Jan 18, 2018
    Queensland
    Sorry, I should have included i'm using Kluson type tuners. Does the tuner type matter when marking out the holes?

5. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Use the attachment here and print out whichever headstock you like at 100% sized. There's your template.

Cheers,
    Rex

Attached Files:

6. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Generally not, it's just the hole size (or sizes, if you do stepped holes for vintage bushings) that varies with the tuner type, not the spacing. The standard hole spacing places the tuner shafts at the right place so there is straight-line pull through of the strings through the nut slots, and the ~15/16" spacing for the Kluson-style fits most any of the more modern types fine on the back side of the headstock.

Cheers,
    Rex

7. Sky Bluefeather

Jan 18, 2018
    Queensland
    Okay, thanks for the info and the templates!

8. slick4772

slick4772 Tele-Meister

Jan 21, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    Maybe I'm crazy - but isn't this a pretty important step to ensure that the cables line up straight from the nut slot to the tuner? In other words - you don't want the strings to angle from the nut to the tuner. They should be straight (align all the way from the bridge to the tuner post). I bought a guitar neck from Musikraft once and once the tuners were installed, the strings got wonky from the nut to the tuners (it was a Frankenstein neck). I don't know what the major contributor is (wrong tuner hole placement - too far in, too close to the edge of the headstock) but I would think that there is some rule of thumb for this.

9. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

Well I guess that would depend on the nut width and slot spacing. Obviously it's not mandatory...look at a Les Paul peghead.

10. Jackadder

Jackadder Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2014
    West Australia
    Sorry, this is poorly worded. The tuner holes shouldn't move anywhere, rather the straight edge can be pushed out if, like me, you're not keen on the oval buttons sticking out so far....

headstocks.jpg

11. slick4772

slick4772 Tele-Meister

Jan 21, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    I bought that tool from Stewmac. Precisely because I was afraid the strings would make a left at the nut...

12. Rock-Ola

Rock-Ola Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nov 26, 2009
    Hellsinkin', Finland
    Rule of thumb: the center of the first tuner hole is in line with the edge of the fretboard.

13. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    And the center of the G-string hole is usually just about exactly on the neck centerline too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.