Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Spring reverbs - What is the gold standard?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by gmm52, Feb 8, 2018.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

That was after Janesville (Accutronics) and before other rust belt changes. I might have been the only freshman at the defunct college in that town to get a semi after classes Friday night, park it a few blocks from the dorm, pick up scrap metal at O.C. Electronics on Saturday, and be back to college student on Monday. When I met some of the freshman dorm people 30 years later I forgot why they called me trucker.

2. tombm3

tombm3 Tele-Holic

Apr 24, 2003
    USA
    I too love my Gomez “G-spring “ reverb. Although the Fender Boss pedal sounds very close to the real thing, IMO.

Hexabuzz likes this.

3. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Fender 6G15 circuit is the gold standard for spring reverb, IMO.

Best modern tank for that circuit is the MOD 4AB3C1[BC]. Two-spring, long decay. The B suffix is flat-mounted in the bottom of a combo cab. The C suffix is for mounting vertically, like in the outboard unit.

After building my Revibe (which is half 6G15, and half harmonic tremolo), I sold my Boss FRV-1. It sounds good, until compared with the real thing. Then it sounds like crap.

4. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Feb 5, 2015
    Southeastern MA
    I thought the reverb in my Vibroverb RI was pretty much the bomb.

But I've been dialing in some pretty lush 'verb from my '70 Twin Reverb, so now I'm not so sure....
    Although the Vibroverb tremelo has the trophy.

5. vintagelove

vintagelove Tele-Meister

Oct 18, 2014
    NY
    If anyone is interested, the GOLD standard of spring reverbs is the AKG bx20. It’s not fitting on your pedal board however.

6. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    The best reverb I ever heard came from the reverb tank in the trunk of my '69 Pontiac Bonneville. Well, until you hit a bump and heard the spring "twang". Seriously though, that was a wonderful reverb tank looking back.

ac15 likes this.

7. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    Too bad you didn’t build a reverb unit around it.

When we leave our washing machine open in our basement, and I belt out a vocal near it, the empty washing machine has a nice reverb, but the air duct in our basement is even better.

8. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    I wish that I knew then what I know now...it would make one hell of a reverb enclosure. I might have to search for one....

ac15 likes this.

9. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.

Luckily washing machines are easily available!

Milspec likes this.

10. Gibsonsmu

Gibsonsmu Tele-Holic

May 7, 2015
    Texas
    IMG_0476.JPG The fender standalone sounds phenomenal. Ampeg is really nice too

MitchMiami, AlbertaGriff and mgreene like this.

11. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    IMO - the Fender outboard unit still sounds better than most of its clones. I had a Cesar Diaz unit and it was dark in comparison - and didnt take kindly to tube rolling either.

For inboard units - as much as I lurve Fender onboard reverb - I believe the original 6V6 Ampeg revererocket has the best sounding amp reverb ever - followed or equaled by the Gibson 79RVT.

NOW... what do they have in common? The reverb tank on the Ampeg and the Gibson are mounted perpendicular to the ground - straight up and down as opposed to flat like a Fender combo.

12. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Didn't Led Zeppelin use an old house at Headley Grange for some of their recordings, including emptying a toilet of its water and facing an amp down into it for some toilet-verb? If so, I vote for the toilet-verb.

13. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    I have a '65 Reverberocket that has great reverb. Just bought a Sole-Mate unit that is becoming my favorite. In the context of a band it is hard to notice the difference between a pedal and true spring reverb IMHO. Unless you have dog hearing.

14. WineCaster

WineCaster Tele-Meister

Jul 12, 2012
    Oshkosh, Wisconsin
    I built mine using the mojotone kit. I don’t have any other tube Reverb units to compare it to but I will say that if I’m happier with it than with any digital reverb pedal or onboard amp Reverb.

IMG_1066.JPG

MitchMiami likes this.

15. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted

Dec 3, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    Different spring reverbs have different number of springs, different length of springs, different delay lengths, etc. The reverb circuit is just as important, maybe more.

Most guitarists seem to want a Fender blackface type of reverb sound.

16. MitchMiami

MitchMiami Tele-Meister

Mar 11, 2015
    Weston, Florida
    I love the sound of vintage 3 spring reverb (and output tube bias shifting tremolo) & rarely turn it off, but sometimes I want “crazy,off the wall, extreme “ reverb sounds.
    Then it’s time for my TC Electronics T2 , sometimes called a Trinity 2. For the over the top reverb and reverb like sound effects I think the tones it produces are mostly awesome. YMMV

17. MitchMiami

MitchMiami Tele-Meister

Mar 11, 2015
    Weston, Florida
    What’s the flaw?

18. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Y'know...as I was typing I was trying to remember exactly what it was...it's been a long time...
    It's something to do with how the circuit board is supported...iirc the pot is mounted right to the PCB and the whole board is supported by the legs of the pot.
    Mine spent a lot of time in the back of a car or van and eventually broke loose.
    I soldered it back up and a little hot glue and a piece of dowel supported the board.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.