Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Is it normal that Fender style guitar/bass headstock bending upward?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by FrontPU, Feb 11, 2018.

1. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2008
    nyc
    Hi folks,
    I have just got a question about the headstock issue read in the title section, and couldn’t give him answer.
    I have 4 guitars that go for the question, they are all teles and all bending up more or less and it’s more obvious when they are strung with heavier gauge sets. 2 of them look pretty straight with naked eye but still not dead straight with a long aluminum scale, of course.
    So, I think it’s quite normal, but need your opinions to convince him.
    Thanks.

2. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2017
    Chattanooga
    How heavy of a gauge are the strings, and so you mean liked bowed bending up, like there’s a bow in the middle of the neck?

3. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    I've seen quite a bit of this, mostly on cheaper knock offs.
    Can't say I've seen a fender product with that issue since CBS days.

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    The only Broadcaster I have had had a severely warped headstock pulling up. It was also badly routed in the area in front of and below the control cavity. Maybe Nacho can share if he has seen worse than that one. It definitely need a string tree for the G and D.
    No other Fender headstock has ever caused me any concern regarding such a warp, but I don’t lay a straightedge on every on eof them, either.

5. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2008
    nyc
    It's the story at the section around the nut or between the nut and the low E string post, not about the bowing neck which can be adjusted by truss rod.
    I now use the 10s or 11s set of strings.
    I'll upload pictures here later.

6. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2008
    nyc
    So you have seen it on those 1965 or older Fender guitars? Yeah, I have, too.
    And it has happened on my 1983 Kubicki and 2014 MusiKraft necks as well.

7. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2008
    nyc
    I have his Blackguard book, but haven't found where he was talking about this issue (I know, you didn't say that).I don't use another tree for G & D, just wind these strings to the bottom of the post. :lol:

8. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2008
    nyc
    Anyway thanks you all.
    Oh yes, here you see is the bent up headstocks of my old Kubicki and 3 year old MusiKraft.
    It's natural that the Kubicki shows that condition, it had been left at hot/cold/humid place for about 20 years. But I don't know why about the MusiKraft, I bought it new.
    I used to use 12s on them, but now 10s sets are on them.
    83kubicki head.jpg 2014musikraft head.jpg

9. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 25, 2008
    Berwyn, IL
    Hold a straight edge to the back and you see it is slightly curved, but hold a straight edge to the face and you will see it is flat. I believe the curvature was carved that way.

Of course I am doing this with your pictures and ithere is always a possibility that the picture is slightly distorted, but I see the same thing in both pictures above.

10. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2008
    nyc
    Jack, thanks for the reply.
    As I said, the long (and thick) aluminum scale told that they are obviously bent even unstrung. Also, their surfaces of rear part of headstock aren't flush with their heals.
    I'm all ok, they still are great sounding necks and great players. :cool:
    Just wanted to collect your opinions to build a proper answer to my young friend. :)

11. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    In comparison with that Broadcaster, what you show is of no consequence, imho, Frontpu.

12. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2008
    nyc
    Thanks Wally, I agree. I even never had any question on this before I was asked it by my friend, assuming any pair of Les Pauls also will show difference in angle of elevation with string tension sooner or later.
    Yeah, all Broadcasters had heavier sets of strings, and pre CBS vintage teles and some RIs have smaller radius at the root of head.
    I'm all ok with those (My old Kubicki and new MusiKraft), but the stagger tuners are useless on the Kubicki; here is another photo which might be better to see how.
    another kubicki neck.jpg

13. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2015
    Kalamazoo
    Well, if the strings start to buzz over the nut you will need lower or additional string trees. Other than that, I wouldn't worry.

14. Adam Wolfaardt

Adam Wolfaardt TDPRI Member

Oct 5, 2017
    France
    My '55 tele and my '56 strat both have the same "issue" as do pretty much all vintage fenders. Some times its more obvious than others. Perfectly normal

15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

This is actually the one instance, when a rift or quartersawn neck blank would be more optimal -

I wonder if the fact that your necks are beautifully flat sawn, has anything to do with this?

Wally likes this.

16. Smiff

Smiff Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2017
    UK
    Just noticed my Strat headstock doing this tonight and thought of this thread. I strung it up with 12’s at the start of this year and before that had 11’s a while, dunno how long it’s been warped like this though.

It’s a 1999 MIM Classic Series 70’s. So not vintage by any stretch, but still of the shoddy CBS style :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.