Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

If it has judges, it's not a sport

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by maxvintage, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Cesspit

Cesspit Tele-Meister

Oct 16, 2014
    Oxfordshire England
    Anything you can do with your kid in the park is a game. Just because some play the same game to a high degree of proficiency does not make it a sport in my view.
    There are lots of games, lots of art and a few sports. There are in my mind anyway.

2. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

just watched an Italian ice dancer compete his routine to a Beatles medley.... that was kinda weird ... he seemed pretty happy with a score of 156.....

whatever that means...:rolleyes:

the replay came on with no warning after the moguls..... Nooooooooo.. Ice dancing....:cry:

3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I'm putting together an Olympic ranting team and have about 47,000 signatures on petitions to get ranting into the games.

Unless you are currently in a pro ranting contract with big sponsorship, please consider joining the team!

4. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2007
    St. Croix, USVI
    How can Beer Pong not be a sport? It encompasses eye hand coordination, balance, dexterity, & BEER. If somehow you could incorporate bacon the Super Bowl would not exist.

That also covers bowling, darts, cornhole, and other stuff.

The above message was brought to you by sarcasm & Cruzan Rum

william tele likes this.

5. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    [​IMG]

LutherBurger and Jakedog like this.

6. Recce

Recce Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    Curling is the winter equivalent of beer pong. You know off to the side past where you can see is an old pickup truck with a keg of Labatts in the back and good old Canadian boys and girls drinking beer.

7. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Yes, but is it music if someone judges it?

8. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    The question is, is it music if NOBODY judges it?

Jakedog likes this.

9. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 3, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    This has been my mantra for years. The scores from judges are like just their opinion man. Totally subjective. I want quantifiable measurable results.

10. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Meister

Jun 27, 2016
    Alabama
    Then sex is a sport! :D

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I think it is still a sport.

Just a sport I avoid watching, or at least I pay no attention to how the dam thing is scored. Officiating is one thing, but if the Judge's Score is the alpha and omega, then I agree it isn't sporting, for me, to be involved.

Wait. I just realized, you and I are diametrically opposed. You say it can be fun to watch and I say no, not for me. You say it isn't a sport and I really don't care what we call it.

Never mind.

12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Never been a doubt in my mind curling was invented as a drunken pond game.

What's more fun than whipping big rocks across the surface of a frozen lake - even just for the "sonar" sound it makes ?

There's already going to be brooms there to clear off the snow, might as well use them to speed up/slow down/direct/(who cares ?) the rock.

And you'll never walk into an adult curling center where there is not a fully stocked bar.

That Norway/Canada match took forever though yesterday. You know in the early days they would have settled it with a race across the ice and back and "what the hell fellas - it's cold, lets go in, eh ?"

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018

13. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Holic

Jul 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada
    The devil is in the details though.

Hard to compare say Olympic figure skating where you have incredible athleticism grace and training to snowboard events... strap a monkey on a board and jump around where there is almost zero athleticism (more dare devilish) and with training for some involves smoking weed. Not knocking snowboarding, but to argue that its athletic is tough to do.

14. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 12, 2010
    Norman, OK
    Aren't some referees called "field judges"?

What's the diff?

MilwMark likes this.

15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

My perspective is, if you have to spend 3 weeks in rehab afterward because you weren't fit enough to be flinging yourself around like that, then that's the essence of athleticism. Whitewater kayaking is the same way. A fellow who has gotten soft and whose body fat index is up may hit clean lines and somehow get to the take-out intact, but misadventure and getting beat up (flushing upside down over a ledge, etc.) are part of the landscape. If you can't shrug it off when things go wrong - you have to be in good enough shape to go back and get the gold medal after you crashed in the first two attempts. Youth helps, but IMO you still have to do hours and hours of conditioning. Imagine if Brady was fat and went down for the count on the first sack attempt. No, the ability to get out of the way of danger, or to still be able to function after it finds you, that's the heart and soul of athleticism.

Jakedog likes this.

16. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    My father always called golf "Cow pasture pool." He was a Missouri farm boy after all.

17. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Holic

Jul 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada
    I knew I was gonna get this. Since you quoted me I guess I have to respond now.

I guess if recovering from crashing becomes an Olympic sport then snowboarders might have a shot.... but couldn't win! I don't think a snowboard crash can compete with an alpine event crash! I stand by my statement that Snowboard's athletic level is very low.

Unless you experienced athletics at a high level - ie other than the recreational weekend version- or have a well tuned eye then it could be hard to understand or imagine what true conditioning and athletics is. And that is not an insult. A beginning guitar player is simply not able to really appreciate how good expert technique is until he/she trains enough and gets a good deal of experience. But then it is fully appreciated.

18. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    Some seem to think that athletic activities that fall into the “sport” category have a higher intrinsic value than other activities. Can we agree that an activity can be athletic without being a sport? If so, we are close to erasing the value judgment that drives some folks to take offense when an athletic activity that they enjoy is removed from the “sport” category.

I understand that judges are assigning points to every minuscule aspect of every jump, rotation, etc. Perhaps that does make it easier for them to be objective. But nothing is as objective as getting to the finish line first, putting more holes closer to the center of the target, or jumping farther or higher. The need for objectivity is created when we insert the element of competition into the activity. I believe that I would derive equal enjoyment from watching most of the events that currently use judges whether they ranked the participants or not. In fact, some might argue that assigning differential degrees of difficulty to elements of a routine drives homogenization, making the judged event less enjoyable to the casual viewer.

To me, this debate has a lot in common with the “is it art?” threads. In those, I tend to favor a broad definition, whereas in the “is it sport?” debate I think a narrow definition serves us better. Primarily because when narrowly defining “sport,” we do not exclude the amateur. Perhaps this is because the definition of sport is applied to the process rather than the product? I need to think about that more . . .

I have long taken the position that, in addition to judged athletic competitions not being sports, the Winter Olympics are not the Olympics. Oh, also there should be no team sports in the Olympics - individual events only.

19. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    I always thought if curling is an Olympic sport, why not trapeze? High wire walking? Looking at NFL officials performances this year-is that (football) a sport????

20. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Holic

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    Every day my roommate tells me how NBA players are the best athletes across all athletic competition known to man, and they could drop into any other sport (athletic scenario for this thread) and instantly be the best player/competitor. He admittedly loves basketball more than anything and admits he is biased but doesn't concede that this diminishes his argument.

The OP of this thread seems just as futile of a statement in the same vein. This one is a semantic discussion and one could easily say that the OP is really talking about a game if you want to break the "scoring" down to a purely black and white delineation. Discussions like this always go nowhere because suddenly you have to redefine every franking word in the vernacular to try and discuss things that shouldn't be compared so closely.

If we're taking it there I'd say ALL sports have judges, it just so happens not all sports have human judges. In ice hockey the plane of the goal mouth is the judge, in football the plane of the goal line is the judge, in curling the target is the judge, in the biathlon the clock is the judge, and all those judges give scores. See what I'm getting at here?

Imagine you had a child that was a figure skater. Then imagine someone asking you if your child participates in any sports. You're telling me you'd say "no but he/she is a figure skater" every single time? Even after all the "wow, okay o_O" looks you'll get for such pedantry? FWIW the judges of sports like gymnastics and figure skating etc. follow very rigid guidelines for how many points to deduct for certain infractions, it's not as willy-nilly as it appears to the uninformed observer every 4 years ;)

[​IMG]

The Olympics are awesome, I love seeing the pinnacle of weird sports we never see since they don't make anyone any money. Curling and alpine skiing are my favorites in the Winter Games.

edit: this was a devil's advocate type of post, you should see me and my friends at the bar... someone always does it :)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.