Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Guitarists who aren't taken seriously but deserve to be.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Sep 29, 2017.

1. strogoff

strogoff TDPRI Member

Mar 25, 2010
    Germany
    +1

I don't know if Paul Kossoff was already mentioned? I think he influenced my style of playing the most. Such few notes, but man does he make an impact with those.

Televised likes this.

2. Area51

Area51 Tele-Meister

Nov 4, 2016
    New Mexico
    Actually my favorite Tull album.

So many good guitarists out there... I just heard Blue Morning Blue Day and was thinking how classy Mick Jones solo's are. Just listen to his work in Cold As Ice, Feels Like the First Time, etc.

Besquire likes this.

3. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    whats the point of everybody on here having their posts on what they think always messed with..now i know why i never commented for 6 years on these sits...waste of time

4. mfromb

mfromb TDPRI Member

Apr 27, 2017
    Boston, MA
    Is this asking for 'underrated'? Or, 'not taken seriously', which my understanding of the (oft wonky) English language would mean two different things. I'll try and keep it to what I *think* the latter might mean (I think the Smothers Bros was a good entry), and at the risk of mentioned already mentioned names:

Roy Clark (courtesy of Hee Haw, might not be taken as seriously as his playing really was - he was seriously on fire)
    Jerry Reed (courtesy of his over the top southern boy charm, comedic personality, and Smoky and the Bandit notoriety - also unbelievably gifted)

But, maybe I missed the point as well?

5. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    This has turned into "underrated" which, I think is different from "not taken seriously."
    I heard a kid listening to Ratt once.
    Their guitar player was very good. Warren DiMartini.
    Despite a painful video or 3, Henry Kaiser has some great stuff, but he's become a bit of a laughingstock.

Poorman512 and telemnemonics like this.

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Yeah after David Byrne I couldn't think of any guitarists who were or are not taken seriously as guitarists. I said that because until I saw a Talking Heads movie and got a solid dose of the range of his guitar playing, I had thought of him as a singer songwriter bandleader who also played guitar.

IDK but Bowie might fit on the list as not being taken seriously as a guitarist, but IDK how well he actually played, further complicated by his pretending to play the SRV licks.
    Is Bowie even taken seriously as a sax player? Did he deserve to be?
    He ought to be taken seriously as a multi instrumentalist!
    Mostly singer songwriter bandleader though.

A few posts were enlightening.
    Certainly there are lesser known guitarists, but if they are/ were any good, they have generally been taken seriously as guitarists by those in their circle.
    And there are cheesy guitarists who play cheesy music in cheesy bands, but those bands filled stadiums, so they were heroes to an awful lot of people.
    It seems pretty clear that many older players first picked up the guitar because they adored some cheesy hair band that generally had mad skills behind their costumes.

So my interpretation of not taken seriously was along the lines of not being considered "a real guitarist", someone you would not pay to see without their voice or band, just playing solo guitar.

I'd agree that Henry Kaiser might get a nomination, but we would probably find that his fans take him very seriously.
    Playing fringe music is different from not being recognized as a guitarist, even though being known as a musician/ band member.

We had a thread a while back where quite a few suggested that singers are not musicians, so there's that.

Maybe artists whose other aspects of artistry over shadowed their guitar playing to the point where the guitar was almost just a prop, yet they played with professional skill, taste and timing.

IDK, do guitarists take Chris Cornell seriously as a guitarist?
    I do.

I'm just taking another crack at understanding the question, four months after coming up with a single name.
    It does seem like the question was misinterpreted...

7. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I would go so far as to suggest it has turned into a "guitarists who are not shredders but somehow made a living playing guitar despite their total lack of awesome chops".

Interesting stuff popping up though...

8. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Lots of people don't take him seriously. It's okay for me to have posted his name. He's considered "antics" by a lot of artists and not many people in the real world know or care who he is.

He is held in high regard by some people...much like everyone named in this thread so far.....

FWIW, I'm a huge Zappa fan and simply feel he doesn't really get his due.

Area51 likes this.

9. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    I'm going to go with Todd Rundgren. He's one of those guys like Prince and Stevie Wonder that can play anything and do it well. As a guitarist he's like an amalgamation of George Harrison and Jimi Hendrix. The slide work on "I saw the light" is very tasteful and definitely Beatlesesque. The whole double album of something anything is filled with great playing, but he'll always be more known for "Bang on a drum all day".

brookdalebill likes this.

10. LarryInTexas

LarryInTexas Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2012
    Texas
    Come to think of it, Marty Stuart himself is one who is probably not taken seriously enough as a guitarist. Besides Vaughan, this video also shows Marty flashing some tasty chops on that Clarence White B-Bender Tele.

11. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    If I'm understanding this right, the only entries I'm seeing that really meet the "great player not taken seriously" tag would be Charro and Unknown Hinson. Their act totally eclipses their actual musical ability. In the case of Charro, back in the day, she had her "Hoochie-Coochie" persona and I don't remember most people realizing that she even played guitar.

In that vain, I'd like to suggest Jim Heat (edit: that's The Reverend Horton Heat for you who are initiated in the true art of Psychobilly). Monster player but that tends to get lost on most people because they're listening to his crazy song lyrics and either laughing or thinking either "WTF?"
    "Let me teach you how to eat
    How to marinate your meat"

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    middy likes this.

12. scottser

scottser Tele-Holic

Mar 6, 2009
    dublin
    nah, rory commands respect - this thread is about guitarists who are or were ridiculed. while it's rare he gets his propers, he remains one of the best loved guitarists among guitarists.

Besquire and Ooba Tooba like this.

13. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Meister

Jan 25, 2017
    Greenville, SC
    Well, we're both in agreement in that we are both Zappa fans! However, he is held in high regard by way more than just some people. Go to nearly any record store, he will have quite a presence. The NPR station here has "Frank on Friday" and plays the whole lunch hour of only Zappa. ROLLING STONE HAS HIM LISTED AT #22 in their best guitarists ever list. I'm not a huge fan of "best ever" polls, but it shows you that he is certainly not "underground" or "not getting his due".

14. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Yeah IDK if Zappa makes the list, but he certainly begs the question.
    He tended to hire "better lead players" rather than rhythm players, and he is probably more known for his singer songwriter bandleader roles.

Yet he is known as a bombastic lead player too, so I'd tend to vote no on his status, while acknowledging he was a contender for "not taken seriously as a guitarist".
    He probably chose that role though, as a commentary on "serious music".
    His playing sometimes seemed to make fun of lead guitar, or of how seriously it was taken.

When I'd been playing for a year or so and was getting recognition as a player, somebody commented "you listen to too much Frank Zappa". FWIW. Presumably the comment was pointing out that my prodigal wankery was bombastic fluff.
    I actually had not heard any Frank Zappa in 1981.

Here's Frank with his audience, getting some attention.
    We may have trouble separating out which aspects of musicianship an artist is recognized for, and which ones are just accepted but not central to their identity.

Sounds Good likes this.

15. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Meister

Sep 18, 2010
    Finland
    I think it's pretty common to overlook guitar work of a lot singers in famous bands. In other words, they are not taken seriously as guitar players, right?

16. viccortes285

viccortes285 Tele-Holic

Jan 14, 2017
    Phoenix
    Almost all Class A session guitarist are never known but are better then most we actually know. They play for the love of the music, more then the paycheck.

17. Trow

Trow Tele-Holic

Jan 6, 2010
    Utah
    I know this is going to b controversial, but I think Tom Delonge is often written off because of his first band, Blink 182. Regardless of your opinions of the band, he's inspired a generation of guitarists and he successfully made the switch to Angels and Airwaves which is more prog rock/anthemic music. If you listen to his more recent stuff it's unique and way more complicated than his early pop punk stuff. He isn't a lead guitarist, but his rhythm work is great.

18. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    jAce Frehley holds a position where a lot of the musicians who ridicule him actually picked up an instrument because of him... Most/Least influential guitarist.

duzie likes this.

19. Area51

Area51 Tele-Meister

Nov 4, 2016
    New Mexico
    I was thinking similar but opposite => Guitarists who are not known as being "technical" but have some awesome chops.

In that sense you could argue that they're both underrated and not taken seriously (as compared to technical players) are it's one and the same.

So anyone you never hear people oohing and ahhing about, but have a great body of work with lot's of great riffs, could be either or.

Which, of course, doesn't mean they can't actually be very technical players when they want.

20. Kimbarafuzz

Kimbarafuzz TDPRI Member

Feb 15, 2016
    Paris

My minds for Willy De Ville , a great Artist..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.