Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Gibson ‘running out of time — rapidly’

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by bluesky1963, Feb 13, 2018.

1. bluesky1963

bluesky1963 Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2011
    Glendale, AZ

2. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 TDPRI Member

Aug 20, 2017
    Federal Way, Washington
    We've all known for quite awhile, that Gibson has been operating on borrowed time, and not just because of poor quality, but because of bad business decisions, and investments away from the instrument sector have run it into the ground. I for one, think The Gibson brand will live again, but not before the bankruptcies, selling of assets, and reorganization or selling the name to the likes of Fender, PRS, etc....etc. I just hope when the dust finally settles, they will still always be a "Made in U.S.A." guitar brand. I would really hate to see them in Japan, China, Korea, Indonesia, etc, like Gretsch, or Epiphone to name a couple......good guitars, but NOT "made in U.S.A."

3. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    dang this makes me want to buy one-I too would hate to see such an iconic long lived US company go away

4. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011
    You must have missed when this was discussed last week. And the week before that. And the week before that. And the week before that. And the week before that. And the week before that. And the week before that. And the week before that. And the week before that. And the week before that. And the week before that. And the week before that. And the week before that.

BTW, have you heard that Guitar Center is going bankrupt?

5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Big business in the changing global manufacturing market is no cakewalk.

Too bad they can't sell software or something that doesn't require woodworkers, OSHA and the EPA.

Edited the next day for clarity: This post is 100% irony, metaphor and sarcasm!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018 at 11:40 AM

6. DannyBuffalo

DannyBuffalo TDPRI Member

Nov 5, 2015
    Pine Lake
    I get the same feeling but then the cynic in me says that Gibson is pushing these kinds of stories to pump up sales.

I could easily be wrong though.

7. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    Happening to a lot major brands...Remington is going into bankruptcy as well.

8. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    Was that an ironic statement considering they shut down a software company called Cakewalk?

Rock-Ola, awasson, craigs63 and 2 others like this.

9. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    They are poorly managed too. They bought Marlin and ruined them. Luckily I own 2 1894 357s who keep going up in price because of the jm on the barrel.

Gene O. likes this.

10. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I don't see me ever buying a Gibson (electric) in my lifetime but I wouldn't like a world where I couldn't if I wanted to...

11. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I hear people complaining about Gibson quality, and trying to tie that to their ability to keep going... but this news is much different. They’re probably going to be forcibly restructured and divided up due to poor business practices, not directly tied to any quality control issues.

As a former Gibson employee... directly fired by Henry J. for speaking up in a meeting... that say good. Many, many people have been hoping for this day for a long time. This is a company that needs to go through financial rehab, and those who have enabled it to get to this point will have to let go if it is to ever come back.

12. 3fngrs

3fngrs Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    That one surprised me. How does Remington, the Chevy/Fender of the firearms industry go bankrupt?

13. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    Crap qc, cheapening parts, legal issues, unsafe guns, unreliable guns with recalls and not building what sells.

Oh and their ammo sucks too!

14. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Well, the American execs that decided it was a good idea to move manufacturing out of the country, can, uh; I guess they can do anything they want, since bigger profits is the only thing that matters.

15. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011
    Paul Reed Smith should buy Gibson and put bird inlays on all the Les Pauls.

16. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    I have my J-200 and a LP. I did my part to keep them afloat. Its someone else's turn.

17. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Yeah they bought Cakewalk and then just closed it's doors when they didn't know how to operate it.

18. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Oh, we've been talking about it.

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/gibson-in-trouble.763136/
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/prs-will-end-up-buying-gibson.795480/
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/nobody-should-buy-gibson-the-company-itself.795645/

deytookerjaabs likes this.

19. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 TDPRI Member

Aug 20, 2017
    Federal Way, Washington
    I thought that too, but look at how many "blowout sales" they have had in the last couple of years, previously pretty expensive guitars for an affordable price....I think just to generate revenue to pay investors, they are on the way to bankruptcy.....my $.002

KyAnne and DannyBuffalo like this.

20. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2016
    California
    I love Gibson's, I don't see that many horror stories that so many people love to spread. Mine have all been terrific, and gibsons customer service has been the best of any guitar company I've had to deal with. I hope whatever bone headed decisions that lead them here can be corrected. Divide it up and do what you have to, but make the company stronger in the end.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.