Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

6 metres of sumfink

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Mat UK, Dec 18, 2016.

1. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2015
    South Lyon, MI
    Wow! That guitar is gorgeous!

Mat UK likes this.

2. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Cheers!

All the setup work is done now - just the final nut shaping left

MM73, tewiq and guitarbuilder like this.

3. Mat UK

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Productive day today.

Started to chop and shape some hardware for the jaguar. Jigsaw and belt sander made shortish work of these

658E4C6E-4DCA-431B-8AFB-FB7F76D74B28.jpeg

399AA511-F446-4E29-B67C-90AE36544B7E.jpeg

I had this delivered today (drill press)

I’ve been debating whether to get it for a while - good reviews, but knowing it doesn’t have the physical capacity for certain guitar drilling tasks, I wasn’t sure. But it was reduced a further £10 for yesterday only, down from £150 to 79.99, so saw it as a sign. I also couldn’t see any reasonable way of drilling the holes in the hardware accurately with my hand drill... so there

I’ll pull it together over the weekend.

Oh, and for my final act of the day I did this:

84BEF865-8A09-452C-8000-339E4CE7113D.jpeg

Might of got a bit reckless with the vice... pain

adirondak5 and LeftFinger like this.

4. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    I absolutely hate when that happens. That's why I gave up on Corian. It loves to snap when you put a nut file to it.

Mat UK likes this.

5. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Jag parts look great- quite impressive. I’m still debating about making vs buying the pickguard. You will thank yourself for the drill press when you attempt precisely-located holes in your hardware. I am, in the finest Brainy tradition, resisting innuendo regarding the breakage of one’s nuts. However, I am reliably informed that guys with brass nuts do not have this breakage problem, and might be an interesting contrast to the overall black. Just submitted for your consideration.

Barncaster and Mat UK like this.

6. Reckless Rat

Reckless Rat Tele-Meister

Feb 26, 2014
    UK
    I think most guys working out in the shed at this time of year find that their brass nuts freeze off, Rick.

Nice drillpress, Matt, especially for that price. I've got one which is slightly larger, and it's probably the tool that gets used most at my place. You'll wonder how you did without one! The main limitations of mine are being precisely too small to do the middle string-through holes, the table tends to flex a little if you put too much force on (e.g. trying to use a large forstner), and I often want to use smaller drill bits. I think I have been spoiled by having access to the old Fobco at work :D

The last problem can be solved with a pin chuck. I've got one of these, and it's surprisingly useful.

Mat UK and R. Stratenstein like this.

7. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia

Told you you'd be better off with a zero fret! :D

DC

Barncaster and Mat UK like this.

8. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    I keep thinking I’ll try a zero fret on my next build, but you still need a —what would you call it? —a comb?—a nut-like piece to maintain string horizontal position, and one would think subject to similar woes of nut-making, except the dreaded too-deep filing blunder.

Mat UK likes this.

9. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    Not so young Richard! The zero fret determines the string height and the string guide in front of the zero only "spaces" the strings!

IMGP9759.JPG

As long as the string guide slots are a good fit for the width of the slots you cut and below the top height of the zero, you should not have a problem at all. That is one reason I almost always build a neck with a 15 degree kerfed headstock. That. and the fact that they look more like a headstock than a shovel, and no harder to do.

The guide can be in the form above to trick people into thinking it is a dinosaur bone nut, or just another fret with the slots cut into it. Once the neck is built and fretted/levelled/ and polished, the guide can be made on the bench and then fitted. Easy stuff........just how I like it!!!

DC

Mat UK likes this.

10. Mat UK

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    I vaguely remember you mentioning your distaste for corian nuts before - I'm starting to see why!

11. Mat UK

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    I tweaked the pickguard and control plate designs slightly so I've given myself no choice but to make them! I'm most nervous about routing the pickguard...

Thankyou for your kind and innuendo-free submission. Don't judge me, but I've superglued the nut back together... I've said it before and i'll say it again, I hate shaping and cutting nuts - brass sounds more time consuming and frustrating!

12. Mat UK

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Thanks for the tip, I've but it onto my eBay wishlist.

Yeh, those darnn string-through holes! That's whats been putting me off buying the cheaper drill presses - the jump in price to a press that can do them is just too much for me... but for certain operations like drilling in the hardware bits I'm doing and countersinking I couldn't see doing it another way with good effect.

13. Mat UK

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Ha! Thanks for rubbing it in!

14. macaroonie

macaroonie Friend of Leo's

I recall seeing someone on here modding a pillar drill for more reach or depth if you want to call it that.
    Basically involves chopping the pillar post and getting your local friendly welder to make a stand off plate to offset the motor press business end of the machine. Of course the drilling plate center will be off but there are a few creative ways around that.
    You will never be short of height on the pillar when making guitars so you could easily lose 100mm to allow the welding.
    Any self respecting metal worker will be able to maintain plumbness and squareness.

You have to do this up near the motor assy.

Mat UK likes this.

15. macaroonie

Ah ha !! actually a bit clumsy , perhaps a flat plate 10mm thick ot maybe a bit more welded to the cut ends of the pillar would be bettah. A metal shop with a lathe to do the cut off would give very accurate basis for the welds

upload_2018-1-28_1-36-32.png

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    Mat UK likes this.

16. macaroonie

Here's what I had in mind. You need to gain about 60mm to do string thru holes and still have wiggle room. The plate needs to clear the bottom of the motor , other than that it's an easy job . I'd up the plate thickness to 18mm ish.

Now that I think about it you can do the cut yourself if you have an angle grinder. As long as you are fairly straight you are golden because the ends of the pillar will have machine cuts that you can use to set up the welds. You less than perfect cut will vanish inside the pillar clamps top and bottom. So next you need to scrounge a suitable piece of steel to make the plate. Your local car exhaust boys will weld it up for a tenner i'l wager.

upload_2018-1-28_14-13-1.png

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    Mat UK likes this.

17. macaroonie

here's your flat bar

18. macaroonie

19. Mat UK

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Crumbs! You’ve had a really good think about this! Thanks for the leg work. I wonder, instead of chopping the main pillar up, what if a temporary sleeve could be fashioned that extends the pole out, something you can slide on and bolt into place... I’ll sketch it up, I have an idea!

I’ll stick to my gator guide for string through holes for the time being though - one day if I can justify it I’ll buy proper heavy duty workshop tools.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.